Day of Action - October 26th 2010 - Press Release

Anti Benefits Cuts Campaign 2010 - Mental Health Survivors in the UK campaigning against cuts to Welfare Benefits
markR

Day of Action - October 26th 2010 - Press Release

Postby markR » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:37 am

Many thanks to Robert for doing most of this.

MAD PRIDE PRESENTS…
A DAY OF ACTION TO OPPOSE WELFARE BENEFITS CUTS FOR PEOPLE LABELLED MENTALLY ILL
TUESDAY 26TH OCTOBER 2010
SPEAKERS CORNER, HYDE PARK, 1 PM
BANKERS – HANDS OFF OUR BENEFITS!

The economic downturn caused by the irresponsibility of bankers and big business has led to the new Conservative/ Liberal Democrat merger government to enact the biggest cuts in public services since the Second World War.

Instead of targeting bankers’ bonuses and rich people’s profits, they are hoping to make huge savings by attacking the welfare benefits of vulnerable people unable to work, including people with severe mental health problems. In particular, they would like the public to think that people with depression, anxiety disorders and other mental “illnesses” are malingerers and scroungers – when in fact all of us find it a terrible day to day struggle just to get by.

In George Osborne’s recent emergency budget, he pledged to chuck 360,000 people off of Disability Living Allowance by 2013 – which will plunge over a third of a million vulnerable people, most of whom will have mental health problems, into dire poverty.

This will put lives at risk. Already, 6000 people are recorded as having committed suicide a year in the UK, although the true figure is definitely far higher. The stress caused by the threat of welfare benefits cuts, as well as the impact of the material deprivation that will result, will undoubtedly lead to a huge increase in suicides amongst people with mental health problems – an outcome which we wish to prevent through campaigning and giving each other one-to-one support.
This is no time to cut benefits and services for people labelled mentally ill.

Our numbers have swelled significantly over recent years because so many members of the armed forces have gone through two very long and desperately hard wars. Whatever the rights and wrongs of Iraq and Afghanistan, those conflicts have taken an exceptionally heavy toll on the mental health of so many of our brave troops.

More cuts to disabled people’s benefits are promised in George Osborne’s upcoming “shock and awe” spending review to take place on Wednesday 20th October. Added to cuts in housing benefits, the VAT rise, and a whole range of other austerity measures, the future looks grim for the poor and those less able to object or protest – whilst the bankers will get to keep their bonuses.

WE’RE NOT TAKING THIS LYING DOWN!

MAD PRIDE can now announce that, on 26th October 2010, there will be a NATIONWIDE 24 Hour MEDICATION STRIKE!

All UK mental health service users will default on their psychiatric medication for one day, in protest against the coming welfare benefits cuts. Further, all UK mental health service users will not engage with any mental health services whatsoever on that day, in a bid to demonstrate our collective power.

SPEAKERS CORNER – HYDE PARK – DEMONSTRATION

At 1 PM on Tuesday 26th October, UK mental health service users will publicly assemble to REENACT THE OPENING CHAPTER OF MICHEL FOUCAULT’S SEMINAL BOOK “DISCIPLINE AND PUNISH.”

A life-size effigy of a prominent Conservative/ Liberal Democrat merger politician will, at this demonstration, be publicly executed by method of hanging, drawing and quartering, after which the quivering remains of the body will be burnt. We expect this to provide an interesting photo opportunity for the media.
Also expect a variety of other visual and subliminal stunts on the day.

THE BANKERS AND THE POLITICIANS ARE THE REAL “BENEFITS CHEATS.”

BENEFITS THIEVES – IT’S NOT IF WE CATCH YOU, IT’S WHEN!

Miss Ben E Fit

Re: Day of Action - October 26th 2010 - Press Release

Postby Miss Ben E Fit » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for you circular informing me of Day of Action. I was however concerned with the bit that said "All opinions valued (but please no flaming or personal attacks)."

How the heck am I supposed to talk about the DWP (Department of Witchhunts and Pickpockets) whilst keeping in line with the above? I try and help others through the claim form and tell them what to expect at the medical. I,ve researched and gathered documents that the public may not be aware of. My intention was never to involved.

So keeping in line with the above warning Im going to call the DWP and claimants (ala CSI mode) "Perps" and "Vics".

I wake up this morning VERY angry. The "Perps" are appearing to be more and more heartless. I thought I'd heard it all at my site, coughing up blood, blind, terminally ill, found fit for work. But the two cases I came accross yesterday take the biscuit.

The perps found a vic fit for work because he could use a pen to fill in the ESA50 claim form and a woman due to have mastectomy 4 days after medical was found fit the work. Both were awarded 0 points

Claimant told ATOS medical of mastectomy but STILL found fit for work with 0 points
http://www.abcofesa.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=101&start=0&hilit=breast

ATOS find man fit for work because he can fill in ESA claim form!
http://www.abcofesa.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=100&p=169&hilit=fit#p169

As for my self rumours are rife!! My site is scam, I work for big brother, but the best one is my site registration code is not what it appears it is actually a secret post code collector!

People like yourselve are doing really good stuff keep it up, as soon as certain people are aware, you'll be lambasted too.
Last edited by Miss Ben E Fit on Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DWP= Department of Witchhunts and Pickpockets

Miss Ben E Fit

Postby Miss Ben E Fit » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Im really miffed iwth MAD PRIDE! Didnt realise you have a full site and not just a forum. Gonna sluumy about and have a look :lol:

Hoppingmadcarer

Postby Hoppingmadcarer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:28 am

As a carer or 'supporter' for a man in his mid 20's with mental health issues, I was dismayed to hear of the cuts. There has been so much red tape all the way through his journey from street homeless to finally get an NI number, GP and a flat of his own. It seems that he may be forced into unsuitable work (with the danger that he may end up leaving or being sacked from due to his mental health issues). The last advice from his psychiatrist was to join a day centre and go the the job centre and register for short courses. This is a man who only ventures out of doors to buy essentials and to collect his benefits once a fortnight! When he has needed medical advice or some support he has not received it. He supposedly attended his last meeting with the psychiatrist 'alone' although what the doctor did not realise is that I stayed overnight with him, woke him up in the morning in case his meds made him oversleep and walked down with him to the mental health offices (CMHT). I will be firing off a letter about this and also making certain that I attend the next meeting with him. I am trying to encourage him to be independent, but at the same time he generally needs at least some level of support support as he is not coping with a 'normal' life' whatever that is. It is the classic 'damned if you do damned if you don't scenario'.
I wish you the best of luck with the Day of Action!

Miss Ben E Fit

Postby Miss Ben E Fit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:22 pm

Time for you to get sabre rattling, get on to your MP and local councillor. Thats what I had to tell someone who has unstable angina (literally could drop dead at any moment). This person was found 0 points fit for work, appealled won his appeal placed in support group and then called in again for medical.

karenkarnak

Postby karenkarnak » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:26 am

can't make it next week physically but will be there PSYCHICALLY

TURN ILLNESS INTO A WEAPON

http://strike2012.org

jigsaw1956

Postby jigsaw1956 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:46 am

Hope your Day of Action goes well. Wish I could be there in person, however at this time it is impossible, I will be with you in spirit. I am severely Disabled (oops naughty word) I am also a long term Mental Health Sufferer. I believe it is people in power who are extremely mentally ill, thus causing us to be labelled Mental Health, because we don't think the same as them. Well if I am mad I am proud of it, I would not want to be uncaring about my fellow man. I would not want to be hated like these so called educated people in power.I would like to bet most people who are labelled as Mental Health sufferers have only ended up that way as a direct result of political decisions. I would not want to be a Destructive Narcissist like many politicians.
Once again hope the day goes really well for you.

DontBeSad

Postby DontBeSad » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm very disappointed to have missed out on an event like this. While I'm not any form of welfare, I have family members that need the extra assistance. The fact that people are willing to cut those benefits is really, really bothersome. While I'll agree that there are people who just so happen to take advantage of the "system", there are a lot of people who simply don't do such a thing.

Are there going to be any sort of events going on throughout the end of December or later in the following year?
Olivia
"I've Fallen and I can't get up" won't be something I'm going to say anytime soon.

dobara

Postby dobara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:16 am

Our numbers have swelled significantly over recent years because so many members of the armed forces have gone through two very long and desperately hard wars. Whatever the rights and wrongs of Iraq and Afghanistan, those conflicts have taken an exceptionally heavy toll on the mental health of so many of our brave troops.
Unlock the key of your success by ccie verification study material, you can easily pass a+ practice exam and ccie lab dumps - pass4sure exam.

Return to “Campaign 2010”